I’m so addicted to makeup, that even on days when I “don’t wear makeup” I totally still do. I enjoy the process of glamming up before going out or snapping a selfie, but some days I just feel too lazy to go through my whole routine. Here’s my go-to look for lazy days.
The Simplest Makeup in the Whole Wide World
Neutral Eyes and Heavy Liner
Okay, let’s get started! This look requires pampering your face with primer, foundation, highlight and blush for a naturally bright and warm face, but the eye of this look takes practically no effort at all! You’re going to need this stuff or close substitutions:
3. Foundation fit to your your skin tone (today I used Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation, but most days I resort to my favorite, the Temptu Airbrush System)
4. NYX Foundation Mixer in Opalescent (this product is great for making simple face makeup look refined and glow-y)
5. Highlight (I used “Cream” under “Soft White” from the NYX Pro Powder Contour Palette and NYX Away We Glow Liquid Highlighter in “Daytime Halo”. I put Daytime Halo down the bridge of my nose to add some dimension and make it look slightly skinnier)
6. Blush (I used e.l.f. Baked Blush)
1. “Stark” and “Frisk” from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette
2. “Anaheim” and “Steady” from the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Palette
3. Mascara (I used Younique Mood Struck Mascara)
4. NYX liquid eyeliner (super easy to control and great for creating fine lines on the upper lid)
5. Pencil liner (I used the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in black)
1. Exfoliator (I love the cruelty-free Rose Diamonds Lip Exfoliator from Henné Organics! It removes any dead skin while also irritating your lips so that they appear fuller and fresher)
2. Lip Primer (lately I’ve been using e.l.f. Lip Primer and Plumper in “Clear Natural”. It really adds some volume to my lips and helps my lip color stay on evenly all day long!)
3. NYX Lip Lingerie in “French Maid” (this is a gorgeous, rich mauve shade of matte lip color, perfect for days when you’re wearing minimal eye makeup)
How I Created the Look–It’s So Simple:
I always start out with my face makeup, especially on lazy days when I’m not sure how quickly I’ll get tired of putting on makeup and stop. If you would like to look as flawless as a porcelain doll, smear some Pore Filler anywhere you have noticeable pores. This magical cream may have a weird texture, but it seriously makes my pores just disappear.
I like a dewy glow on my cheeks but a matte finish over my T-zone. To achieve this I selective apply my Honey Dew Me Up Face Primer to my cheek bones and my Studio Perfect Photo Loving Face Primer to my T-zone to obliterate my natural shine. On days when I’m feeling particularly brave, I go out without adding anything on top of this. The primer and colorless pore filler correct any shine problems and reduce the visibility of pores for a clean, casual look.
If I’m still motivated to finish my look after priming, I continue on by sponging on some high-coverage foundation (again, in your appropriate color) mixed with a foundation mixer, for effect. I like to put the foundation (at this point thoroughly mixed with a few drops of Opalescent foundation mixer) on the back of my (clean) hand, dip my egg-sponge-thing into the mixture, and dab it onto my face. I find this gives me full coverage without any globs in the creases (which is great because what 23-year-old wants to look wrinkly?)
Now that my face is all one even color, I can emphasize my cheekbones with highlight and blush. I pat on a layer of Cream highlight from my contouring palette under my eyes where the skin is a bit darker. This neutralizes the color of the skin, making it appear brighter and lighter.
I finish highlighting by adding on Soft White (from the same palette) in an upside-down triangle under my eyes and along the side of my nose, spreading upward towards my ear. Then, I like to put the NYX glow highlighter on the bridge of my nose, which helps slim the appearance of my nose and add some light to my face. Okay, I don’t care how lazy you are, you so can’t stop here: it’s time to blend some blush onto your cheekbones, just under the highlight, which you should also blend out like crazy (and when I say blend it, I mean blend it!)
Great, my face is done and I somehow still have energy (even on this lazy day!) to make up my eyes! The application is extremely simple, but the look comes out refined and classy. Layer on the eyeshadows from the Naked 2 Basic Palette and Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Palette in this order: Stark, Frisk, Anaheim, and Steady.
First I pat on a thorough layer of Stark across my entire eyelid, followed by Frisk over the outer three-fourths of my eyelid. I blend the portion where they intersect to avoid obvious, chunky lines between colors. I then keep on with this same pattern with the remaining colors: I add Anaheim to the outer half of the eyelid and blend, and then, finally, add Steady just to the outer corner of the eyelid, blending well.
Then there’s just the finishing touches before moving on to the lips: eyeliners and mascara. I drew a relatively thick line of liquid liner, with the peak of the curve over the midway point of my eyelid (basically right over my pupil when looking straight forward. I make the bottom line crazy thick and extremely dark. I lined just underneath the eyelashes rather than directly on the waterline. The combination of these two lines makes my eyes look large and round (and distracts from the fact that I’m too lazy to be bothered with putting on faux lashes). I finish my eyes by curling my eyelashes and putting on a few layers of whatever mascara I happen to have in my makeup bag.
Since I’ve made it this far, I’m going for the gold by doing up my lips. I like to plump them up with some exfoliation (though the volume does not last all day). Exfoliating also makes my lips super soft and smooth! Prime those puckers with a lip primer. This helps color last all day–go ahead, eat and drink your heart out–and also prevents it from drying unevenly. The very last touch is adding on the pop of rich mauve with my Lip Lingerie from NYX. This stuff dries matte, and does so instantly!
I hope this tutorial helps you out on a lazy day, let me know what makeup shortcuts you take!